.

.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Pineapple

I rarely spend any time in the juice aisle of the grocery store. Probably because we don't have any kids, and I see juice as mainly empty calories. And if I'm going to be consuming empty calories, they better come in the form of beer, Snickers, or ice cream. We do go through OJ quite a bit, but it's a snowy day in Miami when there's any other kind of juice in the fridge.

That being said, I took a wrong turn and found myself cruising down the juice section. Occasionally, when this happens I end up buying some mango nectar, which I consider the Dom Perignon of juices. As I scanned the shelves looking for it, I found a section filled with cans of pineapple juice.

Why, in this modern age, is pineapple juice still sold in those frickin' cans? You know, the cans that require a special sharp pointy can opener weapon.

Why not a glass bottle? Or even plastic. Wouldn't plastic be less expensive? If you argue that pineapple juice is sensitive to light, why not paper cartons like OJ?

Old time's sake, perhaps? The Dole company can't get away from tradition?

I pondered a bit, looking at the cans of juice. Realizing that I don't own a special sharp pointy can opener, I slowly walked on by looking for the mango nectar in an easy to open, user friendly bottle.