.

.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Eco-friendly

The silence was what actually woke me up.

The whrrrr of the ceiling fan had stopped. I opened an eye and peeked out from a half-closed lid to see the fan slowly coming to a stop.

I listened intently for the ever-present whrrr of the computers in the office, but couldn't hear them either.

A glance at the blank screen of the bedside clock/radio confirmed the power outage.

I had no idea what time it was, but judging from the amount of light coming in through the windows, it was probably about 7 AM.

I closed my eye and contemplated what I would do in a powerless house on a Sunday morning. Can't make tea. Can't make coffee. Can't listen to NPR. Can't surf net.

Had the usual epiphany about dependence on electricity, made yet another mental note about upping my efforts for power conservation, and decided that the best use of time at this point was to stay in the warm bed under the covers and go back to sleep.

Which I promptly did.