.

.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Monday


Nobody likes Mondays, me included.

But work today wasn't so bad. Regardless, at the end of the day I was still looking forward to going home, and when I got out of the hospital, the weather was cooperating so I decided to drive home with the top down. (Not me topless, but car's convertible top down.)

Having the wind in the hair while driving is great. It's like sailing, without any of the nausea. I sped along on the highway singing along to the radio and just simply enjoying myself. And while I was lost in the usual happy and mindless daydream thoughts associated with the daily commute, my windshield sun block thing that was sitting peacefully in the passenger seat just took flight and flew out of my car.

I clutched madly at the damn thing with great futility and watched helpless through my rearview mirror as it landed on the road behind me. As I pulled over to the side of the road, I saw that the car behind me had stopped in front of it and the driver got out of his car and picked it up.

He then got back in his car and started driving over to me. I was about a good 300 feet away at this point. I simply stood at the side of the road next to my car, waiting for this kind person to drive closer and thankful that he had picked it up.

But as he got closer, he didn't show any signs of slowing down. In fact, as he drove by me, he waved my windshield sun shield thing at me and just sped off.

The absurdity of the situation stunned me for a second.

That damned bastard just stole my windshield thing! What the hell?! I couldn't believe it. I mean it wasn't like he didn't see it come flying out of my car... There was no question it was mine. Why else would I stop along the side of a stretch of highway?

I stood there with my mouth agape.

After some useless waving of arms and yelling, I got in my car to go after him, but he had already disappeared. I got to the point where the highway branched, and didn't know which way he had gone.

I hate frickin' Mondays.