.

.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Round


Nathalie finally got around to watching the original Rocky last week, one of my all-time favorite movies. It's a great love story. It's a great underdog story. It's a great every-man story. It's got a great bare-bones, gut-wrenching fight scene. It's inspirational. What else can you ask for?

I was happy to see that she really enjoyed it. But when she inquired about the sequels, I quickly quelled that curiosity by telling her that Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, and Rocky V had minimal entertainment value and would largely be a waste of time. Which is true.

Yesterday, I was in the kitchen doing the dishes when I hear Nathalie call out from the living room:

Nathalie: Hey, Rocky's on TV!

Me: Oh yeah? Which one?

Nathalie: Uh... I'm not sure.

[I remember that Nathalie hasn't seen any of the sequels]

Me: Well, who is he fighting?

Nathalie: Uh... a bunch of Pakistanis.

What? All of Rocky's past opponents pass through my mind: Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang (Mr. T), that Russian guy Drago, and Tommy Morrison. Nowhere do I remember Rocky facing a Pakistani in the ring. Let alone a bunch of them.

I walk over to the living room and look at the TV to see Sylvester Stallone in a black tanktop with a headband, shooting a machine gun.

Me: Babe, that's Rambo.