.

.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Televised


I don't know how some of my collegues can go home and watch TV shows about the medical field, fictional or not. I get enough of that crap at work. There's no motivation for me to go home and turn on the TV so I can watch someone else do what I've just finished doing for the past 12 hours.

Sure, the shows are funnier and have more drama than real life, but all that really does is highlight the fact that my normal work life would make for a TV show that would get terrible ratings week after week. Definitely doesn't do much for my morale.

Like every other working stiff in the world, when the day comes to an end, I just want to leave all that work crap, get my butt home, and go do something else. As much as I love surgery, I'm ready for something different after a long day. The last thing I want to do when I leave work is to bring it home with me. (Granted, I do spend a great amount of time outside the hospital studying and reading and regrettably ignoring my wife, but that unfortunately comes with residency. Nobody wants a dumb surgeon, and I surely do not plan on becoming one.)

It's not that the shows glamorize cases and situations that either rarely happen or could never happen in real life, or that they are oftentimes woefully and painfully inaccurate, or that they leave out essential bits of information and give credit to the wrong people for these "medical miracles"... or no, maybe those are the reasons.

I wonder how many cops go home after another day at the job and watch COPS.