.

.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Cough


Nathalie and I are both suffering with a pretty nasty cold. I'm now coughing up green phlegm (yum!) and Nathalie's got a great case of the body aches.

Nathalie went out and bought a bottle of green NyQuil and has been getting some rest at night with that. Being the curious physician, I read through the list of active ingredients: Acetaminophen for pain, dextromethorphan for cough, an antihistamine for mucus... wait, where's the alcohol?

I was suprised to see that the manufacturers of NyQuil placed alcohol in the inactive ingredients category.

I thought alcohol was considered a drug. An active drug. Or was that idea squashed by the end of prohibition? I don't know, I've always considered alcohol to be a pretty active ingredient. Maybe I can use that as an excuse: "What are you talking about officer? Alcohol is a benign, inactive ingredient. I'm not guilty of anything!"