.

.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Wisp

Bariatric surgery, in all of its infamous glory, is nothing more than the creation of surgical willpower. There'a million reasons why a person will stay overweight, but it comes down to one common factor, and that is that they are simply eating too much. When a person doesn't have the psychosocial ability to reduce the amount of food they eat, we go in and simply reduce the size of the stomach and manipulate their intestines so they absorb a bit less nutrients.

And not surprisingly, by eating less, they lose weight. Granted, there's probably some factor of malnutrition to augment this weight loss, but mostly it comes from the simple principle that if calories-in is less than calories-out, the body is going to use its fat stores as an internal energy source.

I've adapted this principle and in an effort to reduce my own flabby bulk, I have started to eat less and have essentially eliminated all forms of snacking. And to speed up the weight loss process, incorporated the most simplest of exercises: walking.

It's been a little over a week, and the waist of my jeans is no longer at the point where I think the button is going to pop off. The scale says I've lost 2 pounds, but that could be due to water weight. So as exciting as it was to see a decrease in my weight, it's a bit too early to say I've truly lost some pounds.

There's no question that trying not to snack all the time and severely reducing the size of my meals is difficult. I now spend the majority of my time trying to get my mind to think about something else other than food. The constant craving and gnawing feeling on my stomach is distracting and annoying. But, I'm determined to prove that by simply eating less and adapting the minimalist of exercise programs, I can lose weight.

Granted, I'm not a hundred pounds overweight like some of my bariatric surgery patients, but I want to prove to myself that with a little determination, willpower, and discipline, I can lose weight as easily as undergoing a $25,000 operation.