.

.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Devoured


There's nothing like down home cookin' made by yo mama. But when your mama's not around and you're in Memphis, the place to go for comfort food is Fourway Restaurant.

I had one of the most satisfying meals of my life. Great southern soul food piled high on your plate with probably the best sweet tea I've ever had.

Located in a historically Black neighborhood of Memphis in a non-descript low profile building, we almost drove past it the first time. The interior is nothing too extravagant either. But you know the food is going to be good when the place filled up to the max by lunch time.

Nathalie and I happened to arrive right before the Sunday services at the local churches were over, and the place started to fill up with people soon after we were seated and placed our order. The loud and boisterous hustle and bustle of the both dining and waiting Sunday lunch crowd offered some good people watching while we waited for our meals to arrive.

Nathalie's blonde hair and I stuck out like sore thumbs amongst the rest of the clientele at Fourway, and I'm sure they were amused by our presence as well, but as soon as the food arrived, Nathalie and I were lost in our own little food heaven.

Graceland was interesting, and Beale Street was OK, but neither one of those attractions is likely to draw me back to Memphis. But I will definitely consider the idea of a detour to stop by Fourway for a meal if I'm ever in the area again.