.

.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Plumbing

Sitting alone in the bathroom, while working out the consequences of a hearty and slightly rich meal from the previous evening, I slowly came to the realization that my body is no longer the college eating machine it once used to be.

According to some sources, the human body starts on a degeneration course around the mid-20's. The harsh effects of the environment, our food, and the daily abuse we place on ourselves can no longer be compensated by the aging body.

Considering that my body has been in a state of decay for more than half a decade, it's no wonder that I can no longer digest meals like I used to. The first disappointing blow came about 6 years ago when I realized that I can no longer safely digest lactose. Cutting the routine bowl of cereal in the morning was a disappointing defeat.

And now am I faced with having to limit the amount of fried or greasy foods? (One look at my alarmingly fast-growing mid-section would whole heartedly say "Yes!" for just issues of weight, as well as the physiological plumbing issue.) The prospect of having to cut Mexican food from my diet saddens me.

Strange to think that even after years of an East Asian diet, which consists of pretty much anything that remotely resembles anything edible in addition to heavily spiced or pickled foods, that my digestive system could outlast anything. But I guess everything eventually breaks down at some point.

On a side note, I ran across this website that has this guy eating lots of strange "edible" items found in his grocery store. Truly entertaining.