.

.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Radiological

The general public is often very well informed about medical matters and I'm often surprised at how familiar they are with the names of procedures, medicines, and the such. Sometimes, I run into patients who are more simple, and have minimal knowledge of medical terminology.

Little Girl's Mother: So what do you think is going on?

Me: Well, it's hard to say, I'm thinking that she may have perforated her
appendix already and that there's a large abscess in her belly making her sick.

[Little Girl is just lying back, eyelids halfway closed, looking miserable]

Little Girl's Mother: Are you going to operate?

Me: Well, before we do anything, I'd like to have a better idea of what's going on. I'm thinking of ordering a CAT scan.

Little Girl: [Opens eyes and perks up] Cats?
[Looks at her mother excitedly] Kitty cats?

[Little Girl's Mother also looks a bit confused and looks at me. Probably wondering as well what I plan on doing with these supposed cats]

Me: No, I'm sorry sweetie, there's no kitty cats. It's just a name for a fancy x-ray.

Little Girl: [Slumps back in bed, eyelids back to halfmast] Oh... phooey!