.

.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Pathway

It's strange. No other mode of transportation undertakes the practice of having the driver of the vehicle explain their motives and actions.

I'm one of those people that don't really care what the pilot has to say as we're flying towards our destination. I don't care how high we are. I don't care where we are. I don't care what geological formation that we're flying over (which I can't see from my wimpy windows anyway). I really don't care what the weather conditions are either, because hey, it's not like I can go back and get a jacket because it's a bit cooler than I expected. The only thing that really interests me is whether or not we're going to get there in time. Just fly the plane, please.

But I'm sure that there are some people out there that want to hear the play-by-play.

Before I perform any minor office procedure where the patient will be awake, I ask them if they want me to tell them what I'm doing, or if they prefer that I keep my comments to myself and just let them know when I'm done. The majority of the people prefer that I keep quiet. From which I can infer that the majority of the people flying in airplanes would prefer that pilots keep their comments to themselves as well.