.

.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Forgotten

I walked by a hospital maintenance mechanic guy this morning that looked very familiar, but couldn't place where I'd seen his face before. Considering it was early in the morning, I soon forgot about it in my usual morning haze and went on with my day. I ran into this same guy again later today, but this time I subconsiously blurted out "Hi Glenn" without missing a beat, the way you would normally greet any acquaintance.

I quickly realized that I had called this guy by some random name that just came to my head. But it sounded correct and familiar. I moved my eyes down at his embroidered name tag on his blue shirt, he replied back a greeting, calling me by name with recognition as well. I looked up from his nametag, which coincidentally read "Glenn", and into his eyes. Then I remembered where I'd seen him before. Up in the ICU. Working the dialysis machines. Glenn is a dialysis nurse. And Glenn is his name. I know this guy! I've worked with him before. But what the heck is this guy doing wearing a maintenance mechanic's outfit?

So I asked him, to which he replied, "What are you talking about? I've never been a dialysis nurse." I thought he was joking around, so I asked, "Seriously Glenn, what are you doing wearing that mechanic's outfit?"

He vehemently denied any history of being a dialysis nurse. For fear of embarrassing both myself and Glenn, I ended our conversation and went on my way. Later, I ran into another dialysis nurse, Sonny.

I asked Sonny about Glenn and when he left being a dialysis nurse to become a maintenance mechanic. "Who's Glenn?" asked Sonny with a genuine look of confusion.

"You know, Glenn." I described his features. Sonny continued to look confused.

What is hapening? How is it that I remember Glenn as being a dialysis nurse, but nobody else does? Not even Glenn? There is no way that I would know the name of some random maintenance mechanic because I have zero interaction with them, but I'm always talking to dialysis nurses about various patients of mine that need dialysis. I know Glenn because I've talked with him on many occasions. In fact, I remember getting into an argument with him about a dialysis situation.

Have I lost my mind? What is going on with this bizarre situation? Why is my life imitating the plot from "The Forgotten?"