.

.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Audubon

Luckily, I didn't have to go into work today. I had Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday off without any work responsibilities. Those 1.5 days were spent recuperating from a pretty harsh work week. The basic surgical doctrine of "you go home when the work is done" kept me in the hospital late into the evening every night last week due to several emergency surgeries and some very sick patients. Looking back, from Saturday to Saturday, I worked 117 hours in 7 days. Well beyond the "80 hour work week" limit set by the Residency Review Committee.

Yes, there are only 168 hours in a week. Hard to believe I had less than 8 hours every day to eat, shower, read for conference, study for the next day's surgical cases, take care of daily maintenance tasks around the house, find time to blog,... and then try to get some sleep. Of all the professions in the world, I can't believe this is my calling. Hard to believe that I wanted to do this, and that I enjoy it. I must be crazy.

But anyway, this weekend was spent lounging at home with Nathalie, doing things I've been putting off for quite a while: reformatting my computer (a big pain in the butt), fixing up the Camry, cleaning out the shed, replacing the overhead lights in the kitchen, and making up for this past week's lost quality time with Nathalie.

Oh, and I proposed to Nathalie.

:)

Full story to follow later!