.

.

Monday, November 22, 2004

Ex Lap

My laser printer acutely went bellyup several weeks ago after a particularly destructive paper jam that damaged what appeared to be the motor and printer drum gears. Initial efforts to fix it were futile, despite much begging, pleading, cursing, and eventual violent smacking.

Repairs would cost over $100 at a local computer store. An adequate replacement would cost $200. Going without internet access at home was one thing, but going without the ability to print anything became a major inconvenience. Even more painful was the memory of paying $400 for it just a few years ago.

After 3 weeks I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to have one last try on Saturday before throwing in the towel and heading over to BestBuy to buy a new one. Much to my amazement, I fixed it.

"Hey, guess what," I exclaimed proudly, "I fixed the printer!"

"How did you fix it? What was broken?"

I hesitated, "I'm not sure. I took it apart, inspected all the parts, and put it back together. Magically, it started working."

Nathalie looked back at me with a perplexed face. "Well... Good job, baby."