.

.

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Barbeque

Beth and Gabriel invited us over for a barbeque, solving the quandry of what we were going to make for dinner tonight. They were going to grill an assortment of meats, one of which being sweetbread.

"Isn't that thymus?" asked Nathalie.

I nodded.

A bit hesitant, "Isn't that what you remove in the OR?"

I thought for a second, and then nodded again.

"What's it taste like?"

"I don't know, babe. I've never had it myself."

After the meat was grilled, I carved off a small bit of charred thymus and placed it on Nathalie's plate. Like a trooper, she popped it in her mouth and started chewing away. I did the same and we shared looks of surprise: Grilled sweetbread turned out to be delicious! Tasted like the charred fat rind off of a ribeye.

Can't say I'll be running to the butcher shop to get a few pounds of thymus to put in the fridge, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again on my plate.