.

.

Monday, October 18, 2004

Illusion

I decided to rearrange my furniture over the weekend, and as luck would have it, I found a box of "Moving Men" while browsing through Home Depot.

"Moving Men" are these plastic discs impregnated with Teflon. You put one disc on each corner of a piece of furniture and it will then float around the room with minimal effort. To demonstrate, the picture on the box shows this little woman pushing around a sofa with just one hand.

Since everything I own weighs more than I can fathom, I impulsively bought a box thinking I have saved myself from some work.

Ah... so wrong.

It's quite amusing that these plastic "Moving Men" behave just like real, actual moving men.

+ First of all, those "Moving Men" don't work that well. As with real human moving men, I'm putting in a lot more effort than the "Moving Men"

+ While pushing a piece of furniture around, you realize that one of the "Moving Men" discs have slipped off and disappeared someplace. Probably taking a cigarette break like actual moving men.

+ The "Moving Men" refuse to stay in place. You place one "Moving Man" on each corner of the bookcase, and when you get to the other side of the room, 2 of the "Moving Men" have given up and have stayed behind. As if to say, "Yeah, the other two guys can help you move that bookcase. We'll stay here."

+ After struggling with these "Moving Men" for 30 minutes, I dismissed them, just like I would have done with actual moving men.

+ Lastly, I realize now that the picture on the box is not of a woman pushing the couch, but of a woman leaning on the couch, exhausted from pushing the couch around. Perhaps that is why the woman was not smiling.