.

.

Saturday, October 09, 2004

The Debate

Clerk: Can I help you?

Me: I'd like a money order for $500 and 3 Powerball tickets.

Clerk: [Spies my debit card] You can't use a credit card for money orders.

Me: I know. This is a debit card.

Clerk: You can't use debit cards either. You can only pay by cash.

Me: I've never heard of that policy. I've used my debit card before. This card takes money directly out of my checking account and it's just like cash.

Clerk: Sir, I've been working here for a long time and we only take cash for money orders. [Starts shaking her head] No credit cards. No debit cards. Cash only.

Me: You expect me to carry around $500 in cash?

Clerk: [Raises voice a notch, eyes start to bulge] Sir, cash only.

Me: [Notices the "Trainee" label on her nametag] Can you confirm that with your manager?

[Clerk calls manager via overhead PA. Manager arrives momentarily, confirms that debit cards can be used to purchase money orders]

Clerk: [Gruffly] So what is it that you wanted?

Me: [Swiping my debit card through the keypad] A $500 money order and 3 Powerball tickets.

Clerk: [Ringing me up] Is that credit or debit?