.

.

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Prodrome


Something should have clicked when Nathalie said, "You're wearing THAT shirt tomorrow?" pointing to my red Hey Day shirt from Penn that I had laid out next to my green scrubs. "How Christmassy!"

It's 7 years old. It's soft. It reminds me of fun times in college. A little man inside my head raised his hand with a question, but I rudely ignored him and went about my business. I didn't think much of it after that.

This morning, at 5 AM, the (sleepy) little man in my head emitted a polite 'ahem' but I continued on my usual morning routine and dressed in the clothes that I had laid out the night before.

At work, a nurse pointed out that I should not look so glum at 5:30 AM because I looked so cheerful. A sleep deprived me ignored her and continued my rounds. Later, the medical student on my service asked why I had holiday colors on. Another resident asked if I were oriented to time and reminded me that the Friday after Thanksgiving was months away. At one point I noticed that someone had quietly started humming Jingle Bells in the elevator. (I'm not sure that was a direct effect of my outfit, but I'll mention it regardless.)

All this reaction because I wore two colored associated with Christmas? Yikes.