.

.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Apprehensive

Because beer costs $6 a piece inside the stadium, the boys and I went to a nearby sports bar to drink up on (relatively) cheap beer as part of a pre-game celebration. The bar was filled with all types of people, ranging from sports fanatics to tourists to what appeared to be underage drinkers, all getting hyped up over the Saint's preseason opener.

My friends quickly ordered several pitchers of Miller Light and sat down. Because I can't stand drinking domestic light beer, I stood at the bar and studied the list of bottled imports on the wall. My buddy Joe came up to see what I was doing, and while looking up at the list on the wall, his eyes fell across a pretty girl across the way who happened to be looking in our direction.

"Whoa, check it out!" whispered Joe under his breath, while ribbing me to get my attention. "Brunette."

I shifted my gaze away from the list of beers and saw a cute girl standing with two of her girl friends at the end of the bar, looking shyly at my friend. I then looked at Joe, who was looking back at the girl with a goofy grin on his face. I quickly tired of looking at the two of them and placed an order for a British stout.

My mind drifted to and fro as I sipped the velvety brew. I had nearly finished my beer when I realized that Joe was still eyeing that girl. I was about to tease Joe, when a deep voice startled me from behind, "You two need to leave."

Joe and I slowly turned around to see a rather large guy, bald, mustached, and muscular, arms crossed and looking a bit irritated. I figured this was the girl's boyfriend or husband, and that Joe and I were in for a beating. By the color of Joe's face, I could tell that he was thinking the same thing.

However, this guy wasn't her boyfriend, but the bar's bouncer. Joe was eyeing the girl with so much intensity, she began to worry that Joe was some stalker or serial killer, and she pretty much had a nervous breakdown. Joe thought he was getting it on, but the girl was just afraid to look away because he was staring at her like a creep.

I never thought you could get thrown out of a bar for looking at a girl.