.

.

Friday, July 16, 2004

Synapse

Finding a good dry cleaners has become the modern equivalent of seeking the Holy Grail.  Soon after moving to New Orleans several years ago, I spent the greater part of the first year seeking a dry cleaners that met the majority of my "Cleaner Criteria".  Of course, the perfect cleaners does not exist.  But, nevertheless, I have ceased my search.
 
The one that I currently frequent has its inadequacies, but I continue to support it due to its one redeeming factor:  amusement. 
 
Being a surgical resident, I wear hospital provided scrubs 90% of the time.  I wear a shirt and tie only about 1 to 2 times a week.  Since I have nearly 30 or so dress shirts, my need to visit a cleaners is only on a monthly basis... if even that often.  So I'm not a frequent patron, and, not surprisingly, I am rarely remembered by the owner that works the counter.
 
Each time I visit to drop off or pick up my shirts, the owner never recognizes me.  She introduces herself, assures me that my clothes will receive the utmost attention and care, quickly becomes very inquisitive about my career, and then makes a big deal about me being a physician.  The discussion lasts about 5 minutes before she realizes that she's met me several times already, embarrassment sets in, she clams up, and then conversation dies to utter silence.  Usually about this time is when I make my exit.
 
She usually calls out the door as I leave, "Just because I no remember you doesn't mean I no do good job cleaning shirts!"