.

.

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Esters

I'm a big fan of the overly strong mints and gums. But recently, I've been craving a sweeter, fruitier flavor. So imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw a package of Eclipse Cherry Chill gum while walking down the candy aisle at the local grocery store. Per it's label, this is a "uniquely soothing" combination of cherry and mint to freshen your breath. I impulsively bought a 3-pack.

True to it's label, it is a combination of cherry flavor and mint flavor. What it doesn't advertise is that this gum tastes exactly like cherry flavored Robitussin, which in my opinion, is the worst tasting stuff on earth. Worse than plain cough medicine.

During this same trip to the grocer, I also bought 2 pounds of real cherries and some plums in addition to the gum.

After chewing the gum for a few minutes, I lapsed into a cloud of contemplative and meditative deliberation. Instead of reading in preparation for my basic science conference, I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering why artificial cherry flavor doesn't even come close to tasting like the real fruit. Most artificial fruit flavors taste similar to the actual thing, but real cherry and artificial cherry are not even close. It's not even in the same ballpark.

As I floundered to find an answer to my ponderings, Nathalie came across the realization that cherries look like minature plums.

An enlightening afternoon all around.