.

.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Birthday

My baby brother turned 27 on Wednesday.  I think I'm at the point where I can no longer refer to him as the "baby brother."  More realistically, he probably reached that point when he turned 18, but it's taking me the greater part of 9 years to stop calling him that.
 
For me, Steve will always be that little skinny 5 year old kid that I took to swimming lessons at the high school pool.  You wouldn't know it by looking at Steve now, because he's over 6 foot tall, but growing up, he was on the small side for awhile.  One of my fondest memories of Steve is the day he successfully completed a dive into the pool.  I remember how excited he was after getting out of the pool, this skinny little kid in red swim trunks, smiling, shivering, and wiping the water from his face while beaming at his mother and older brother.
 
Happy 27th to my little, baby brother.