.

.

Friday, June 18, 2004

Monsoon

Cruising through Super Wal-Mart the other day, I noticed that they had watermelons on sale for less than $5. I picked up a nice green one that must have weighed close to 25 pounds.

I've heard a million hints and bits of advice when it comes to picking out a watermelon. My dad prefers the "bonk" method of watermelon selection. Endless watermelon tapping until he hears the perfect pitch of "bonk!". My preference is just looking at the color: dark green stripes with a golden yellow belly. I also feel compelled to bonk as well, so I do. I'm not sure exactly what I'm listening for, but it makes me look like I know what I'm doing, as if I've had years of experience harvesting watermelons or something.

So I ended up with a good, ripe watermelon. I've been chipping away at it for the past several days, and I've learned a valuable lesson. Watermelon has a lot of fiber. An abundance of fiber. I'd even say a plethora of fiber. And with large fiber consumption comes the eventual urgent evacuation. I learned that after eating almost a third of the watermelon in one sitting. Now I just eat a little bit at a time.

Goes to show that you're never too old to learn something new.